Housecleaning goes beyond just looking good. A dirty house can actually lead to poor health. Since we tend to spend a significant amount of time indoors, it’s essential to create a safe, clean environment. Consider the following:
- Injuries, poisoning, and conditions, such as asthma, can be directly linked to the cleanliness of your home.
- Because children are still developing, they face the highest risk of being affected by hazards in your space. Little ones put objects in their mouth, play on the floor and carpet, and come into contact with a variety of surfaces.
- Pregnant women shouldn’t be exposed to things such as lead, mold, cigarette smoke, and bacteria. Contaminants can potentially affect the health of the baby.
- Clutter and unkempt staircases lead to accidents, particularly for children and senior citizens. It also makes it more difficult to escape in the event of a fire.
- Dirty carpets are a breeding ground for bacteria, dust mites, and allergens. This can worsen allergies and asthma and stimulate respiratory conditions.
- Food that has been left out, piles of unwashed dishes and linens, and pets lure in pests and bacteria, like E coli and salmonella. This is a surefire path to illness.
- Household cleaning products and chemicals that are not properly stored increase the likelihood of poisoning.
- A dirty, cluttered house affects your sense of wellbeing and mood. Disarray is stressful.
- If fresh air isn’t circulated indoors, irritants, moisture, allergens, and mold collect.
- Contaminated surfaces cause colds and flu.
- If your house is not maintained and cracks, chipping paint, and dangerous structural defects occur, injuries, lead poisoning, and contact with gases, including radon, become more common.
- Volatile organic compounds, or VOCs, pollute the air. Smoking, using harsh cleaning supplies and paint without proper ventilation, and exposing your family to pesticides and other compounds are linked to nausea, memory loss, throat and nose irritation, and even cancer.
- When someone enters your place they can track in allergens, dirt, and even fecal matter. Letting these accumulate is toxic.
For optimal health, developing a regular cleaning routine is non-negotiable. Break down tasks into smaller chunks to avoid getting overwhelmed. If you don’t have the time or desire to do the cleaning, hire a maid service in your area.